Sometimes the best DIY organizing solutions are happy accidents, and this project is a great example! As I’m starting on Faith’s room and getting it ready to paint and reorganize, I thought I’d share the deets about this bookshelf nightstand that we (my husband) made.
I purchased this wood filing cabinet at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, with the intention of using it for it’s normally intended purpose: A filing cabinet. (Unfortunately I didn’t take or can’t find the photo with the drawers still in tact, but you get the idea.) At least one drawer didn’t work properly, and though one of the Habitat workers was sure a little WD-40 would solve the problem, my husband discovered that the problem was deeper than that and it was not going to be usable as-is.
|Filing cabinet after drawers were removed and Brad built bottoms for each shelf|
Refusing to be out $20 for nothing, I got an idea. I asked my husband if he’d mind building bottoms in each shelf of the cabinet (drawers removed), similar to what we did with my desk. That way I could paint it and re-sell it as a little bookshelf (or at least that was the plan!). He agreed (after rolling his eyes and accepting yet another project that he didn’t really want to do ;)). Then it sat half-painted in the garage for months because I was too busy and kept forgetting to deal with it.
Several months ago we rearranged furniture in Faith’s room and needed to make room for a lamp that she was decorating for 4-H. A nightstand was needed and I thought this would not only take care of that need, but it also created additional storage for her books which we really needed.
It’s a bit of a mess right now but organization is coming. This has been the PERFECT solution for her room, though, and I’m so happy it took me so long to get it painted, because otherwise I may have sold it and we wouldn’t have had it to use here! Sometimes you just have to think outside the box and be creative!