It’s day 2 of spring organizing with Astrobrights! After they contacted me to #colorize with some spring organizing projects, I decided to tackle not one, but two…maybe three…organizing projects! And if you didn’t read the blog yesterday, they’re also offering a giveaway, so be sure to enter at the end of this post!
Yesterday I shared the busy boxes I made for my daughter and oldest daycare girl to keep them busy during nap-time over the summer. I also decided to change out the binder covers on the binders I use for organizing and the Astrobrights papers made the job super simple and fun!
I wanted to do something that anyone could easily replicate and with items that were readily available to most people. I gathered the awesome stack of paper and card stock that Astrobrights sent me, plus my binders, some glue dots and a round scalloped paper punch.
Using Word I printed the covers on Astrobrights Stardust White card stock. They sent paper and card stock in both colors, and for this I wanted something sturdy so that it would easily slide into the plastic binder sleeve without bunching up. Once I had a cover printed for each binder, I punched out scalloped circles from colored paper to essentially color code each binder.
While mixing the colors would have been really cute and fun, I wanted to be able to tell at a quick glance what each binder was for. Having each binder with its own individual color and with the title on the front and side, it’s less likely I’ll grab the wrong one when I’m rushing around. #imalwaysrushingaround
I also considered doing solid color covers and binder spine labels, but since the binders are stored in the open space of my mint desk, I figured I better not go too crazy with color! I found myself trying to coordinate the papers to the desk and to each other (and have a differenct color for each of seven binders), and it was just too stressful. #firstworldproblems
I laid the circles out on the card stock to determine how I wanted the layout.
One-at-a-time, I grabbed a circle, pressed it against a glue dot, and then put it back into it’s place on the cover.
As I got more and more binder covers completed, it was fun to see all the fun colors together!
To finish up the binders I had to decide how to label the spine. I created a landscape document in Word, and using the same size and style of font, typed up each binder subject, printed it again on the Stardust White card stock, and cut into 1″ strips (almost 2″ for the tax binder because it’s larger) using my paper cutter.
I wanted to keep the color-coding system I’d started, so I punched out one more scalloped circle in each color with my punch and adhered them to the top of each spine label. The 1″ ones were too narrow to fit the entire circle, so I trimmed off any excess, and then slid the labels into the sides of the binders.
It took me waaaayyyyy longer to decide what I was going to do that it took to put these together, and if I ever need to change binder titles, it will be so easy to do so with this method.
Don’t forget the giveaway! I’m working on my third Astrobrights project #3 and hope to have it ready for tomorrow! We’ll see how it goes! Giveaway winner will be announced Thursday!
*I was compensated by Astrobrights Papers for this post but the opinions are 100% mine.