Well Brad and I survived a four-day weekend of cabinet painting! (As you can see in the photo above, even Remi was wiped out! ;)) I’m too tired after the process to do a big post with pictures and all, but thought I’d at least check in with a quick update. I’ll share pics and what I learned and recommend soon.
I’d love to say we finished…and we sorta did…but unfortunately there’s more to do. First, Brad rushed me when I was taping and covering everything to prevent from over-spray and he didn’t realize he was getting paint on the adjoining wall…and door…and trim. And he also managed to get it all over the kitchen floor. Tiny. Little. Drops. (This is why I questioned spraying the cabinet bases, but had we covered everything better I will say it’s a pretty fast painting process and looks great.) Fortunately a friend recommended getting it off with Murphy’s Oil Soap, so when we get a chance that’s the plan to save the woodwork at least. Second, some paint peeled up with the tape so we have touch up to do on the cabinets themselves. And the last and most process-interrupting problem is that the brown paint for the lower cabinets isn’t the right color. I knew it the second I started painting, but Brad talked me into letting it dry to see how dark it got. It did darken, but as I suspected, still not to the color it was meant to be. I should have run to Ace the second I questioned it, but we were fighting major exhaustion all weekend from the long week before and then all the work we were doing, so I gave into my fatigue. BAD. BAD. BAD. Brad assured me that we’ll fix it if it’s not what I want…I just wish we’d done it before all the tape and plastic were off!
At any rate, I’m really excited with the progress and the change it’s made in the look of the kitchen! The cream upper cabinets make everything seem so much brighter, and the doors aren’t even on yet! I can’t wait to see it all together…and to have my kitchen functional again!
More on that to come!!!