Photos are ordered for my new DIY frames from the Michaels Pinterest Party, so once those are in (next week sometime, I believe) I’ll show you the finished product! I took advantage of Shutterfly’s 101 free prints, and even uploaded some daycare photos for the next time they offer that. I have been on FIRE since getting some sunshine yesterday, and it feels so good to be productive again!
I’m pretty excited about today’s project for a few reasons. First, I’ve been needing something for that green bowl in the photo above. I haven’t found decorative balls that I love, so when I saw the idea on Pinterest to use fabric, I was so excited to be able to customize my own (farther than using yarn or twine, which I think I will also do). And last but certainly not least, this project literally cost me $3, and that’s if I use all 9 balls! (I think the ones I found shopping in Kansas City were $6-9 each…ouch!)
I started with three sets of three plastic baseballs from the Dollar Tree (that’s nine balls for $3). You could also use styrofoam, and Kaysi at Keeping it Simple used wiffle balls, but these were the right size and the right price!
I scanned Kaysi’s tutorial and then just ran with it on my own. Following her lead, I cut strips (approximately 1 1/2-2″) from fabric that I already had (she says 1 3/4″ strips). I did not measure…they don’t have to be perfect.
I folded the fabric in half and glued it to make it easier to work with, also per Kaysi’s recommendation.
To start wrapping the fabric, I folded one end of the already folded fabric strip in half, and then in half again, and started making a tight coil. I hot-glued the coil onto one end of the ball. After the first few rounds with the fabric folded in fourths, I started twisting and wrapping, twisting and wrapping, and gluing every-so-often to secure the fabric to the ball.
When I got to the end of one strip of fabric, I glued the end down to the ball, then glued the next strip over the top of the end and continued twisting and wrapping until the ball was covered. The remnant of this white and green fabric was smaller than the other, but it took approximately five or six strips about two feet long to cover one ball.
I love how they turned out! I have several more to make to fill the bowl, but this is one of those relaxing projects you can do while catching up on Young & The Restless.
#what is happening #iwantbillyandadamback #chloehaslostit #takethatbabyhome
I have some yarn and twine I plan to use, and might dig out another fabric remnant from my stash. Check back tomorrow and see if I got them all done!