In the summer and fall I tend to decorate for the season, rather the holidays. Especially in summer months, it simplifies everything at a time when I want to be relaxing and slowing things down to have decor that works from Memorial Day through Labor Day. So just as I try to stick with general pumpkin and leaf decor in the fall (though I do pull out more for Halloween), I tend to go with patriotic decor in red, white and blue for the summer months.
My bestie made a wreath that can stay up year-round by simply changing out the decor on it for each season or holiday. I had done this in the past as a MOPS project, but we used wire to attach the decor (at that time it was burlap flowers). It worked, but the wire tended to snag when I’d put it on or take it off, so doing that many times a year seemed like a great way to ruin the wreath over time. But Kim, being the genius that she is, used simple alligator hair clips to attach her decor.
I got my wreath made finally about a month ago or so. It’s a wire wreath form with burlap ribbon, and at some point I need to do a tutorial because I struggled to find one that was exactly what I was looking for. Once you get the rhythm, though, it’s not a difficult wreath to make and though it takes a little while, it’s a good TV watching project. (FYI, it took 5 spools of burlap ribbon for my wreath, and it’s on a larger wreath frame.)
Once the wreath was done, I set out to find accessories, but I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted and wasn’t finding anything that really jumped out at me. Initially I thought I’d go with these stars that I found at Hobby Lobby (a bag of about a dozen for $10, I believe). But they just didn’t pop on the wreath and felt kind of “meh”, so I went onto something else.
I wasn’t feeling very inspired, but after seeing a super cute floral wreath on Pinterest decided to scour the floral section. It took a lot of browsing but then I found this combination…
I didn’t like them arranged that way, but liked the combination of flowers, so I left with them and messed around more at home until I came up with this…
I love the sort of “wildflower” feel, and though the door is red I still liked the pop of red in the one flower. I originally had white in the mix, but decided that was what was tripping me up and with white chevron in the ribbon, I didn’t need that one.
Since these flowers were heavy, one hair clip wasn’t going to cut it to attach it to the wreath, but I still wanted it to be interchangeable. I managed to make it work with a few clips strategically placed to keep the flowers secure but able to come off when it’s time for some fall decor.
To get the stems to stay together and attach that heaviest part of the bunch, I wrapped them in floral wire and tape, and stuck the clip into the tape.
It’s holding up through the daycare kids coming and going several times a day, so so far, so good! I’m excited to come up with something for each season and holiday!