As we made plans for our kitchen cabinet painting project, we discussed painting the door pulls. We were fortunate enough to score some free oil-rubbed bronze hinges that Brad’s parents were unable to use in their kitchen remodel (score!), so all that was left was to paint the pulls and everything could match! The hinges fit our cupboards (whew!) so in between taping and cabinet painting, I got to work on the pulls.
|The finish before (and after soaking overnight in degreaser…don’t do that!)|
I used a higher-end Rustoleum spray paint, and this one has primer in the paint. (I also lightly sanded the pulls before painting.) Let me just say that I was thrilled with this paint!!! After painting the third and final coat on the pulls (two probably was sufficient but I wanted to be sure since the kitchen is a highly used area), I decided to transfer the cardboard they were sitting on into the garage because it looked like rain was coming. (Note that I was also talking on the phone at the time.) As I tried to maneuver through the door, about a handful of the pulls dropped to the cement garage floor. *gasp!* I was tickled to find only a few very tiny little dings in the paint!
|The kitchen pulls after|
As the kitchen hardware got updated, I realized that the hardware on the built-ins should be painted to match. While most of the built-ins are in the adjoining room and not actually the kitchen, there is a pass-through door of one that does open up to the kitchen. And while we won’t be changing out every piece of metal in the house, I figured I’d make changes where I could to keep things as cohesive as possible. It was a minor change but one that I think has a great impact and really updated the built-ins without having to paint the woodwork.
|Before (sorry, never got a close-up but they were a dull brass)|
I also finally tackled the last of the pulls on the black dresser/buffet in the living room. They were originally a brushed nickel finish and I wanted to transform them to gold to coordinate with the mirror and gold branches above the dresser. I’ve been meaning to do it for a long time, and just needed to do it! It’s such a quick process, I was a little irritated with myself that I took so long. (Actually I’d done four of the six a while back, but was waiting for Brad to get a replacement screw for one of the pulls.) I’m excited to say that those are finally done, and once the dresser itself gets a new coat of paint, it will be like a new piece! (Kitchen has to get completed first!)
|Definitely need to paint the dresser!|