Even though I am blogging daily this month for the 31 Days series, I will also share other projects as I complete them. I’m bad about waiting when I’m excited! This project wouldn’t be very pertinent in November anyway!
I’ve had a swamped couple weeks (more than usual), and after completing two posts last night, some daycare business, and our normal family evening routine, I needed something kind of mindless to work on. (Read: Too tired for anything that could be messed up.) I had the items for this wreath ready to go and decided I could check something off my list and zone out a bit at the same time.
After completing the changes in my window frame, I decided that while I liked the layout of the scrapbook papers, it just wasn’t working for me with the shelf and accessories. It appears I never got a photo of everything together, so you’ll have to take my word on it. Sigh.
Putting the window on the shelf as part of the vignette was an option, but it would have required creating a lip on the shelf to keep it from slipping and/or securing it to the wall. (Read: Potential hazard for daycare kids or anyone sitting on the sofa below.) It would have taken up a fair amount of room on the shelf, so I dropped that idea. And since hanging everything required my hubby’s help…and he was pretty clear he was DONE once we got everything up…taking it down altogether wasn’t going to work either. I would have had to move the shelf, the clock…the works.
Soooo… after much contemplation, I decided that instead of trying to figure out what could go IN the window panes, I decided to leave it empty and hang seasonal wreaths from it. I’ve always liked that look, so I’m not sure why I didn’t do it sooner! This way I don’t have to worry about the patterns and colors in the papers I choose competing with the accessories on the shelf (because I DID). Since I don’t have a lot of holiday display space, it also adds one more area for festive decor, and it will be easy to change out with the seasons and holidays.
I kicked myself for passing up some adorable Halloween burlap ribbon at my last Hobby Lobby visit, but I had purchased some orange ribbon just in case I decided to make a wreath or something for fall. It wasn’t exactly the look I wanted, but it did turn out pretty cute, I think! Even better, it was CHEAP. I’ve been meaning to start showing price breakdowns of my projects, and since we’re talking about saving money this month I thought this would be a great time to start. Here’s the cost of this wreath:
I was so tired last night that I failed to get pics of the assembly, but this is so easy I think you’ll manage.
First, the wreath form I used was a pool noodle, so I needed to tape it into a circle. I love this tip because wreath forms can be so expensive, and one pool noodle makes a good sized wreath. In fact I debated if mine was too big! I simply met the ends of the noodle together and taped around the seam with duct tape to hold the circle shape in place. The noodle was orange, so that helped hide any spots that I missed while wrapping with the ribbon!
That was the next step: Wrapping with ribbon. You could also use strips of fabric, burlap, yarn…whatever you like! I had to wrap mine twice because the first time around I came up short on ribbon. When I wrapped the second time around, I tried to overlap as little as possible to make it stretch the entire wreath. I still had a section of about 3″ that wasn’t covered, but I was able to fix that!
I took another Halloween ribbon that I’d purchased from Dollar Tree, wrapped the uncovered area, and glued it in place. Using a scrap of gold ribbon, I strung up the spider, and tied it around the top of the wreath (where my second ribbon was), and knotting the ribbon once I had the spider centered where I wanted it. I trimmed the excess gold ribbon so that there wouldn’t be pieces hanging where you could see them.
The final step was hanging the wreath on the window. After removing the glass and scrapbook paper inserts, I took some of the second (Dollar Tree) ribbon and tied the top of the wreath to the top of the frame. Using a wide ribbon to hang it allowed me to hide the area where my first ribbon fell short. I didn’t have luck making a nice looking bow, so I just cut short pieces off at the top where the wreath was tied to the window.