For as long as I can remember, I’ve been organizing my recipes with binders. I love the ability to categorize and easily flip through to see what I want to make. And the plastic pages protect the recipe cards and are simply wiped down when I splatter. Which I do. Because I’m a messy cook.
Over time, though, I had expanded to three binders. Sometimes I wasn’t sure what recipe was in which one, and going to a bigger scrapbook-type one seemed too cumbersome. It also got costly over time as I had to continue purchasing more page protectors to hold the cards.
When I saw Shayna’s DIY recipe box over at her blog, The Wood Grain Cottage, I was instantly smitten and I just didn’t find one to purchase that was quite as perfect. So I sent the hubby a photo with the link to her instructions, and for Valentine’s Day (anniversary….Christmas?? Can’t remember!), he made it for me!
Mine is longer than Shayna’s, I believe (hers looks closer to a square shape). I wanted to be sure that it would fit the depth of the open shelves we added in the kitchen, and I wanted to be sure to have lots of room for recipes so they could all be in one box.
Brad delivered and with extras, even! He was forward-thinking enough to add this handy piece in the back, so that while I was growing my recipe collection the cards would remain standing and not fall over. Genius! He also included dividers as part of the gift…alphabetical. Adorable, but I have been making fun of him because who organizes recipes alphabetically and not by category?!! Turns out, looks like Shayna did! He saw the picture and went with it. #mybad Sorry, hon!
I knew, though, that I wouldn’t always remember just what I called a specific recipe, and when you aren’t sure what to make for dinner, it’s obviously easier to be able to thumb through a category of main dish recipes, so I wanted to go the standard appetizer, main dish, dessert, etc. route. With the suggestions from my Coffee & Crop girls and the help of my Pazzles, I cut these cute tab tops to put over the alphabetical tabs. To cutesy up the fronts of the dividers and add some color, I used a paper cutter to cut 4×6 cardstock pieces to put over the front. The tabs are doubled, front and back, and are adhered with glue dots.