I’ve had this project in the works for quite a while and finally made myself sit down and finish it the other day! After doing my spring frame “wreath” I really enjoyed looking at it every day, and the long narrow frame fit perfectly in this space between the thermostat and my built-in hutch.
I had the star ornaments already, and after deciding to remove them from the Christmas tree ornament stash (they just didn’t show up well and are somewhat heavy), I had the sense to keep them just in case I thought of a fun idea. I’ve always loved them, and when I decided to do a similar frame project I was so glad I hung onto them!
The only problem next was finding a frame and a 3rd item (because you can’t just do two in a project like this…odd numbers are generally best in decorating unless you’re doing a pair of something). While shopping at Hobby Lobby one day I found the little wooden flag and immediately knew that’s what I had been looking for!
As far as the frame, lo and behold, shopping in my own home proved successful for me again. I recalled this frame that my mom recently gave me with pictures of my daughter, the two of us, and my grandma. The pictures were hodge-podged in there and I wouldn’t have displayed it like that, so I decided to remove the pics and repurpose it. I liked the gold that it was originally painted in, but eventually decided it was too shiny for the more rustic items that it would be framing, so I decided to give it a coat of patriotic red paint.
First I removed the pictures, backing and glass. It’s a plastic frame, and though maybe I should have, I did not prime it.
As is my tendency, I rushed through and got a bit heavy-handed on the spray paint, which caused it to bubble and pull away in a few spots, and because I didn’t anchor my plastic sheet outside well enough, the sheet blew onto the wet frame and caused issues as well.
|Where the plastic sheet blew onto the frame|
|Bubbles from putting the paint on too thick (or the humidity…or both)|
So, I sanded it down in those spots, wiped it off again, and put another couple coats on. It doesn’t pay to rush because you just wind up going back and wasting time fixing what you goofed up. On a positive note, I liked the look of the gold coming through the red, so when I have time (aaahhhh ha ha ha!!!) I plan to distress the frame.
The next step was deciding how the heck these things were going to hang inside the frame. I didn’t want to entirely mimic the spring wreath and do a ribbon down the center, though that may have worked great. I had some burlap in the craft room and decided that would look great behind the flag and stars, and would give me something to hang the items from.
At first I tried hanging one of the stars to see how it would work. I untied the existing string, but it was too thick to go through without a big needle.
Then I grabbed a paperclip from my desk and tried that. It worked, but I needed to scrounge up a good wire cutter and the clip was a bit stiff to work with, so I wound up deciding to use jewelry wire that I had around for making bows.
|Paperclip trial (back view)|
Once I decided how to hang the stars and flag, I got to work affixing the burlap to the frame. I decided hot glue would be fast, allow me to pull the burlap tight, and would be quick, so I went that route with great luck. Once the burlap was on the frame and I tried to hang the stars with the wire, I found that the weight of the stars caused the burlap to pull down and made visible holes. I hung the flag that way since it was lighter. It worked well but I still have a bit of a hole there…
To eliminate that problem with the stars, I removed the string from the ornaments and hot glued them directly to the burlap. I was hesitant because this will render them pretty useless for the future, but this train was moving and wasn’t about to stop! Fortunately the glue held well and everything turned out great!
I still need to go back and distress the frame sometime, and I may move that flag up a bit, but I’m happy that I have created yet another seasonal decoration to fill this narrow spot on my wall! Guess I better start brainstorming for fall and winter!