When my shelf liner arrived a couple weeks ago, I just couldn’t wait to put it to use! We have a narrow built-in cabinet in our bathroom, the middle of which is exposed, and then there are shelves behind cupboard doors above and below. The bottom is used for Faith’s towels, but there’s only one shelf and it doesn’t hold much. That space is actually meant to be a clothes chute to the laundry room, but to prevent daycare kids from getting stuck like the boy in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, we cover it with a board and use it as a shelf.
|Upper shelves (before)|
|Open shelf (before)|
The above shelves are currently used for my make-up compact and brushes, taller hair products (that don’t fit in the vanity drawer), hair accessories, and mani/pedi supplies. Shortly after we moved in this all got a fresh coat of white paint, though it could use another. In addition, the accumulation of hairspray and gunk makes a gross-looking mess, as you can see here:
So after emptying the cabinet, I got to work cleaning it with a Magic Eraser.
|Can I get an “ew”?!|
|Not perfect but MUUUUUUCH better!|
You can see that even after a good cleaning, there was still gunk residue and visible chipping paint, but painting these cabinets is not on my priority list and, hey, I had shelf liner to put in!!! I got to work doing just that…
I laid the paper in the shelf space while still on the roll so that I could mark where to cut, using the grids on the back as a guide. (It didn’t perfectly match the gridlines, but if you can get shelf liner cut perfectly to fit, then please come show me how.) This was intended to be a quick makeover…not something I was going to sit and mark out with a measuring tape and pen.
I was not feeling that patient at the moment.
I had to cut a notch on the corners to accommodate the trim and still allow for the paper to come out to the edge of the shelf.
I decided to leave a lip on the edge of the paper that came halfway down the edge of the shelf. I like the look, but I will admit that there is a spot that doesn’t want to stay stuck. Maybe if I’d prepped that part better?
I also discovered about halfway through that it was better to start at the front and work back rather than the other way around. This way, the end that you most easily see will be flush, and whatever unevenness happens in the back really doesn’t matter.
I peeled one end of the adhesive backing off, applied paper to the side closest to me, and gradually smoothed it out and peeled off more and more backing.
I think the end result turned out pretty good! It’s definitely cleaner and brighter, and what a simple fix if I get tired of it or it gets nasty!
|Upper shelves (after)|
I had been considering changing out the containers in the open shelf that we use for cotton balls and q-tips. The glass canisters that I was using held a lot and worked fine, but we never put the lids back on and they really collect dust. (See the first two pics.) While wandering around Dollar Tree recently I stumbled across these springy looking little tins, and thought they’d be perfect, if even just for spring and summer!
|Open shelf (after)|
I couldn’t decide which two of the three styles to get, so I wound up getting all three, and glad I did. (I also loved the red ones they had, but there isn’t a trace of red in my bathroom at the current time.) The two taller containers became the new homes for cotton and q-tips, and the more shallow but wider one worked great to corral my hand cream. (Maybe with my Satin Hands so readily available, I’ll remember to use it on my poor dry hands!) I don’t love having the other lotions in the back, but since I use them daily and our bathroom so lacks storage space, that’s where they’ll remain for now.
My only complaint about this mini-makeover is that with all the blue it felt very…well…BLUE. I will post pics of the rest of my bathroom another day, but the walls are a mocha brown, the shower curtain is white with an elegant blue pattern, and overall blue is just an accent color. This space almost feels like overkill. I had an idea, though, to “rough up” the little tin containers and maybe darken them a bit with brown stain or something. I need to do some research. I also have some plans for the nail polish in the upper cabinet that I’m working on. In the meantime, this was definitely an improvement and got me off to a good start for spring cleaning!