Today is day one of a new year of organizing! We will be organizing a room a month for the year, breaking each down into smaller tasks each week. For those who would like it, I am attaching a weekly organizing planning sheet that I used in the past, though I won’t be directly using this myself this time around. You may find that it will help you set organizing goals, get your project plans from your brain to paper, and help you see all the progress you’re making!
I figured since the kitchen is the most used room for most people (and for us one of the most likely to become a mess!) that we’d start there with our year of organizing challenges! For those who missed my blog over a year ago (Addicted to Organizing, which is no longer active), I thought I’d first retrace my steps organizing the kitchen from back then.
For the most part, the organization I did on my kitchen over a year ago has stuck. I use a lot of Tupperware Modular Mates for staples like baking items (flour, sugar, baking soda) and pantry items (like cereal, oats, pasta). I currently use the Tupperware labels that are (or at least were) available for Modular Mates, but since some have come off I plan to make new (cuter!) ones. (Mental note: Add to project list for January.)
This is my pantry BEFORE I organized it…
Our pantry is deep which makes it that much more difficult to organize. I started as I start most organizing projects…taking everything OUT! Here is everything from the pantry on my table and counter…
The door already had a hanging organizer which works great for cans, etc., so I really didn’t have to do a lot there…
Above my stove is a cupboard that I house most of my baking items in. Almost everything there is in Modular Mates, which helps me to see everything better, looks nicer, and fills the shallow cupboard perfectly without wasting space.
Another organizing project I did in the past year was to add some plastic baskets to house items that tended to fall over/out in the cupboards. Not only does this prevent that problem, but I can pull out a basket of like items to better see what I’m looking for. I created cute labels on my Pazzles machine for these baskets and tied on with white string. (You could also use a Cricket or any die-cutter, or just print labels and matte them with cardstock on the back, then laminate and punch a hole.)
Here’s what the snack bins looked like when I WAS filling them… 😉
Ok, so now that I’ve recapped what I’ve done in the past, I’ll share my NEW menu board with you tomorrow!!!