Happy new year! If you’re like me, the fresh start of a new year is refreshing, motivating, and is the perfect time to reevaluate and set goals. I’ve been doing a lot of goal-setting in 2017, especially as I work with a business coach and a lovely group of women, all focused on their businesses.
Of course, setting goals and ACHIEVING them are two different things, and while writing goals down is a huge step, it takes action to achieve them. My word of the year for 2017 was START. I kept finding myself stuck in overwhelm of all that I needed to do, and often wouldn’t do anything. So for this past year, it was my goal to at least start. Often times, once we begin to work, organize, clean…whatever the task…we a) get motivated and energized to keep going and b) regardless of how much time we have, we get something done! I certainly wasn’t perfect at choosing to start every time I got in that paralysis of busyness, but I do feel like I made strides and that word of the year was often on my mind, pushing me.
This year, my word didn’t come to me quite as quickly. I had to do some brainstorming. I think every year my words could be “balance”, “simplify”, or something similar. I have accepted (mostly) that for this season in my life, balance isn’t going to come by just giving up a few commitments. We are busy and as long as I am working full time and building a business, I will be busy.
With that said, I also know what I need to do to carve out time and make life what I want it to be. I have big dreams that I refuse to let go, and as long as I don’t quit, I can’t fail. That’s where my new word of the year came from…my desire to make my dreams a reality, to prioritize what’s important, and to find some “me time” to recharge. My word of the year for 2018 is…
You guys, you have no idea how long I looked for the flower image I had in mind. After waaaayyyy too long of searching for a free or inexpensive option, I decided that the time and potential money I was spending on that was the complete opposite of my goals for this year, and I stopped! I went with what PicMonkey had and called it good!
Back to the word: CREATE. That word holds a lot of meaning for me as far as how it applies to my goals and what I want to achieve…and change…in 2018. Here’s what CREATE means to me…
- I am going to CREATE the life of my dreams.
- I will continue to CREATE a schedule and routine that helps me prioritize what really matters.
- I am going to CREATE time for God every day and make Him my ultimate partner in life and business.
- I am going to CREATE a successful, profitable business.
- I am going to CREATE a budget that helps us to pay off our debts and get us closer to our financial goals.
- I am going to CREATE organized, clutter-free space in our home by purging things that we don’t use or don’t love.
- I am going to CREATE found income by selling those items!
- I am going to CREATE an attitude of gratitude.
- I am going to CREATE with my hands in order to spark my creative juices and provide relaxing time for myself.
- I am going to CREATE time for people and relationships that are important. That includes creating time for me.
I have gotten so far from the girl who crafts and DIY’s. While a big part of that is due to a) needing to spend my time elsewhere and b) not wanting to create a need for more spending and more STUFF, I have missed the therapeutic outlet that those hobbies create. As I was organizing in my office and craft space yesterday, I came across some miscellaneous craft supplies. It stirred a longing to make something. To sit down with my daughter or a friend, talking and crafting. So I think, at least to some degree, I need to find that girl again. I’m ready to CREATE! I also plan to be laser focused on personal and business goals, and to create that life I dream of!
What’s YOUR word of the year?? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!